wine-devel and libiconv

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Oct 5 13:29:29 PDT 2010

On Oct 5, 2010, at 10:25, Frank Schima wrote:

> On Oct 5, 2010, at 8:34 AM, Mark Hart wrote:
>
>> When I try to upgrade wine-devel I'm told:
>>
>> "You cannot install wine-devel for the architecture(s) i386 because its dependency libiconv only contains the architecture(s) x86_64."
>>
>> The solution is included in the text:  "sudo port upgrade --enforce-variants libiconv +universal"
>>
>> However, when I execute that command nothing appears to happen.
>>
>> When I check my installed list I get:
>>
>> libiconv @1.13.1_0+universal (active)
>>
>> I'm not sure what to try next.
>>
>> Any help would be great!
>
> You need to clean wine-devel first. This way the configure command will get run again from scratch and it will recheck your libiconv.
>
> sudo port clean wine-devel
> sudo port install wine-devel

No, it rechecks each time. So it seems your libiconv is not universal, though it claims to be. Please check with:

port -v installed libiconv

and:

lipo -info /opt/local/lib/libiconv.dylib

If either of these show, as I think they will, that libiconv is only x86_64, rebuild libiconv. First verify that universal_archs in macports.conf actually contains the list of universal architectures you want (presumably i386 and x86_64), and then rebuild libiconv with:

sudo port -n upgrade --force libiconv