MultiMarkdown and LaTeX

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Oct 10 13:53:45 PDT 2010

On Oct 10, 2010, at 13:15, Dan Ports wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 08:32:06AM -0500, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> pdflatex (provided by the texlive-latex port) links with libpoppler.dylib (provided by the poppler port). When poppler was updated to version 0.14.x the version of the poppler library increased from 6 to 7 and every port linking with poppler needed to receive a revision increase in order to rebuild against that new version of libpoppler.dylib. It looks like this was overlooked for texlive-latex, presumably because it does not declare a direct dependency on poppler. (Instead, its dependency texlive-bin does.)
>
> texlive-latex does not build any binaries; only texlive-bin does.

I initially assumed that too, and I couldn't find any mention of poppler by grepping texlive-latex's source. However, texlive-latex *does* install binaries on my system:

$ port -v installed texlive-latex
  texlive-latex @15495_1+doc (active) platform='darwin 10' archs='noarch'
$ port contents texlive-latex | grep /bin/
  /opt/local/bin/dvilualatex
  /opt/local/bin/latex
  /opt/local/bin/lualatex
  /opt/local/bin/pdflatex
$ port contents texlive-latex | grep /bin/ | xargs lipo -info
Non-fat file: /opt/local/bin/dviluatex is architecture: x86_64
Non-fat file: /opt/local/bin/latex is architecture: x86_64
Non-fat file: /opt/local/bin/luatex is architecture: x86_64
Non-fat file: /opt/local/bin/pdflatex is architecture: x86_64
$ otool -L /opt/local/bin/latex | head -n 2
/opt/local/bin/latex:
	/opt/local/lib/libpoppler.7.dylib (compatibility version 8.0.0, current version 8.0.0)
$

So this port is *not* noarch as it claims.