MySql5 install on SnowLeopard, problems starting

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Sun Oct 10 19:34:07 PDT 2010

On Oct 10, 2010, at 7:09 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

> Note that on Leopard and later, the user is technically _mysql (not mysql).

Is there a technote on this? Is this an Apple convention or do other nix's share the underscore uname duplication? Maybe there is a non Apple doc on this behavior?

All my testing and searching has always shown the two username forms to be interchangeable. (As long as the alias exists in the record, which I think happens automatically.)

I have always wondered the official guidelines on the username format as well as official documentation on the uses of the underscore in a username or group.