Error: port activate failed: Registry error: No port of e installed.

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Fri Oct 15 10:42:36 PDT 2010

On Oct 15, 2010, at 1:07 PM, Michael_google gmail_Gersten wrote:

>>> 2. I could use Mac's Time Machine backup to restore my system to the
>>> way it was the day before I installed Macports.
>>
>> IIRC Time Machine does not work very well with MacPorts as it is unable
>> to backup hardlinks.
>
> Wha?? I have hard links all over the place; Time Machine doesn't like them?

I believe Time Machine will back up (and restore) a copy of each hard linked file (instead of one file and the hard links).

I haven't tested this in a while, though. It is something that people have filed bugs with Apple about (and you probably should too so that it is more likely that it gets fixed).

> Need to check that. (Yea, I know, HFS doesn't actually support hard
> links, they are a "graft-on")

Earlier versions of Mac OS X had HFS+ implementations that had various issues with hard links, but I haven't seen any problems on anything recent (I'm not sure if it was 10.3 or 10.4 that fixed the last problem I tended to notice).

--
Daniel J. Luke