bugged bzip2?

John B Brown jbb at vcn.com
Sun Oct 24 19:01:28 PDT 2010

Dear Folk,

	After a recent repair on my iMac which involved a new hard drive I
tried to compile and install clamav. Not realizing ports aslo offered a
port of clamav I downloaded the source from sourceforge. The error
messages from the configure are aprticularly interesting. The bzip2 it
refers to is the one compiled and installed by th port command.

jbb at pinball:~
(6): % cat bugged.txt

config.status: executing libtool commands
configure: Summary of detected features follows
               OS          : darwin10.4.0
               pthreads    : yes ()
configure: Summary of miscellaneous  features
               check       : no (auto)
               clamuko     : yes
               fdpassing   : 1
               IPv6        : yes
configure: Summary of optional tools
               clamdtop    : -L/usr/lib -lncurses -R/usr/lib (auto)
               milter      : yes (disabled)
configure: Summary of engine performance features)
               release mode: yes
               jit         : yes (auto)
               mempool     : yes
configure: Summary of engine detection features
               autoit_ea06 : yes
               bzip2       : bugged (CVE-2010-0405)
               zlib        : /usr
               unrar       : yes
configure: WARNING:
****** WARNING:
****** You are cross compiling to a different host or you are
****** linking to bugged system libraries or you have manually
****** disabled important configure checks.
****** Please be aware that this build may be badly broken.
****** DO NOT REPORT BUGS BASED ON THIS BUILD !!!

jbb at pinball:~/gnu/build/clamav-0.96.3

	This is the tail end of the compile. Exactly what is there about the
bzip2 file installed by port that would cause that complaint from a
virus detector?

	Shalom,

	John B. Brown.
	[jbb at vcn.com]
	358 High Street,
	Buffalo, Wyoming
	82834

"Freedom is not worth having if it does not include
the freedom to make mistakes"  Mahatma Gandhi
"If any question why we died, tell them,
because our fathers lied."  Rudyard Kipling
"A man who does not know the truth is just an idiot
but a man who knows the truth and calls it a lie
is a crook."  Bertolt Brecht
"I wonder whether the world is being run
by smart people who are putting us on
or by imbeciles who really mean it."  Mark Twain

1-307-684-9068