Port commit questions regarding python versions and philosophy for splitting ports

Michelle Gill michelle.lynn.gill at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 06:17:43 PDT 2010

Greetings MacPorters,

I have just applied for port commit rights and have a couple of questions regarding the submission of port builds. I haven't seen answers to these on the listserve or documentation, but maybe I've missed them.

* When building python packages (or any package where there are multiple versions maintained), does one have to build to support all versions? I only have python 2.6 on my system right now. Would I need to install python 2.5 (and 2.7, etc.) so I can build a port for multiple versions of python? Is support for other python versions handled in a way that doesn't involve the submission of packages for each python version?

* What is the philosophy regarding the incorporation of small accessory packages (say as variants) into an existing packge vs creating a separate build? I have built the DerApproximator accessory package for py26-openopt and am unsure if it should be consolidated with the existing OpenOpt package or if I should submit a new package. My sense is that variants are for compile time flags and that I should submit DerApproximator as a separate package.

Any comments you have on these two questions are greatly appreciated.

Kindest regards and looking forward to getting involved,
Michelle Gill

Michelle L. Gill, Ph.D.
NIH Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Palmer Laboratory
Columbia University Medical Center
Department of Biochemistry & Molecular Biophysics
Black Building, Room 511
650 West 168th Street
New York, NY 10032
Email: mg2917 at columbia.edu, michelle.lynn.gill at gmail.com