Port commit questions regarding python versions and philosophy for splitting ports

Michelle Gill michelle.lynn.gill at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 05:50:43 PDT 2010

Hi Daniel,

Thank you so much for the reply.

On Oct 28, 2010, at 10:41 AM, Daniel J. Luke wrote:

> On Oct 28, 2010, at 9:17 AM, Michelle Gill wrote:
>>
>> * When building python packages (or any package where there are multiple versions maintained), does one have to build to support all versions? I only have python 2.6 on my system right now. Would I need to install python 2.5 (and 2.7, etc.) so I can build a port for multiple versions of python? Is support for other python versions handled in a way that doesn't involve the submission of packages for each python version?
>
> You don't have to build Portfiles for each version in the sense that you're volunteering and so whatever you want to to do help out is welcome.
>
> If you want to support multiple python versions, though, you will need to create Portfiles for each version.
>
> Fortunately, you can have multiple versions of macports python installed at once and most python packages are pretty easy to set up portfiles for.

I should add that I'm not opposed to building for multiple python versions. I would like to make sure I'm
doing everything correctly with my current set up before installing additional python versions, though.

There have also been a few discussions about issues with atlas/numpy/etc. on the list lately. All of these
ports are requirements for the package I intend to build. Who knows if I'll run into compilation issues
when I try to install other python versions.

>> * What is the philosophy regarding the incorporation of small accessory packages (say as variants) into an existing packge vs creating a separate build? I have built the DerApproximator accessory package for py26-openopt and am unsure if it should be consolidated with the existing OpenOpt package or if I should submit a new package. My sense is that variants are for compile time flags and that I should submit DerApproximator as a separate package.
>
> As a maintainer, it's up to you to determine what method is more appropriate.
>
> Things to keep in mind are:
>
> - If it's a variant, you can only choose to install/uninstall it when installing the big package (if you install the port without the variant, and decide you want it - you have to build the port again).
> - If it's a variant, other ports can't list it as a dependency.
>
> The tradeoff is that it's often slightly easier to implement as a variant, and if it's distributed in the same tarball from upstream, you only have to update one portfile if it's a variant.

This is very helpful--I was looking for a list of pros and cons for either option. I don't recall if there is
an actual maintainer for OpenOpt, but if there is, I'll contact him/her to discuss as well.

I guess all this is assuming I am given commit access. I'm not sure how long it takes them to approve
requests.

Kindest regards,
Michelle Gill