How to get the configure command

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Thu Sep 2 08:32:42 PDT 2010

On Sep 1, 2010, at 10:18 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Sep 1, 2010, at 19:35, Scott Haneda wrote:
>
>> `sudo port install bind9 +dlz_mysql5` works just fine.  What I want to know is either how to get it to print out the final ./configure statement, or, how I would take the output from the mysql5_config commands above and use them in the ./configure statement?
>

> You can see the configure command that gets executed by enabling the debug switch.
>
> sudo port -d install bind9 +dlz_mysql5
> DEBUG: Assembled command: 'cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/_Users_rschmidt_macports_dports_net_bind9/work/bind-9.7.1-P2" && ./configure --prefix=/opt/local --mandir=/opt/local/share/man --with-openssl=/opt/local --with-libxml2=/opt/local --enable-ipv6 --with-dlz-mysql=/opt/local/bin/mysql_config5 --disable-threads'

Thanks!

That is interesting, how would I, were I to make this variant for the port, know the value to put for --with-dlz-mysql?

If I go to the driver page for DLZ http://bind-dlz.sourceforge.net/mysql_driver.html
I see this mention:

    The configure script will search in the normal locations for the
    MySQL headers and libraries. You can specify the appropriate
    directory if it is not found by appending a path to the MySQL
    configure option. For example: --with-dlz-mysql=/path/to/files

    To find out where your mysql headers and libraries are you can run
    the mysql_config command. "mysql_config --cflags" will return the
    path to the MySQL header files, and "mysql_config --libs" will return
    the path to the MySQL library files.

That leads me to believe that I am looking to put in the returned output from the mysql_config(5) command, not the path to the actual file.  Is that perhaps bad/misleading instructions on the part of the driver docs?  It even says it will search a path, but to me, it seems like it is calling the command, and searching the paths in the results of that command, which is entirely different from the statement in the docs.

I sat here and tried multiple times using the output of /opt/local/bin/mysql_config5 --cflags and --libs to now know which of the two to use, and within each of the two, which of the few results to use.  I seem to run into this often in ports I am working on that are not run of the mill just work out of the box ./configure and that is all there is too it type of software. Usually all I ever have to do is enter in a prefix value and maybe a man page path, outside of that, I run into small stumbling blocks such as this.

Thank you for any clarifications.

--
Scott (* For off-list contact, replace talklists@ with scott@ *)