I'm a beginner so be nice to me

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Sep 3 03:17:29 PDT 2010

On Sep 3, 2010, at 03:27, Scott Haneda wrote:

> On Sep 2, 2010, at 7:55 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> You have the file /usr/local/include/dlfcn.h on your system and it is preventing the help2man port from building properly. Remove this file, and ideally anything else you may have in /usr/local, as files in /usr/local will interfere with MacPorts software. Clean the affected port before trying again. (sudo port clean help2man)
>
> How would files in /usr/local interfere with MacPorts as long as they are not executable files?  And wouldn't /usr/local also further have to be in your PATH?  A .h file, I can't see how that would have any impact on MacPorts while it is building something, as MacPorts tried pretty hard to work in prefix.   I would like to understand this better, but the ticket ( https://trac.macports.org/ticket/12336 ) did not really help me get anywhere.

The gcc compiler looks in /usr/local for includes and libraries automatically. We do not know how to turn this off reliably in a way that does not adversely affect how MacPorts works. Therefore we can only advise users to remove anything in /usr/local so that any software compiled by MacPorts does not find things there.