Building for different version and/or SDK

Harry van der Wolf hvdwolf at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 02:52:35 PDT 2010

2010/9/8 Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>

> On Sep 8, 2010, at 02:17, Harry van der Wolf wrote:
>
> > In previous versions of macports it was possible to specify an SDK and a
> "macosx-version-min" (-mmacosx-version-min from CFLAGS).
> > When switching from Leopard to Snow Leopard about 6 weeks ago I
> completely wiped out my /opt to make a clean start so I can't find it from
> my old macports.conf as well.
> >
> > Can I still specify an SDK to be used, e.g. 10.5 or 10.6? (10.5 for
> building without vdpau which isn't avalaible on Leopard)
> > And more important: Can I specify the "macosx-version-min" or what the
> variable was called.
> > I read something that it was removed from 1.9.1 and would return in
> 1.9.2?
> >
> > I build bundles based on macports and now from Snow Leopard I would like
> to build for Leopard as well.
>
> This feature was removed from MacPorts some time ago. It might return
> later, but IMHO it did not work well for many ports and was more trouble
> than it was worth. Ports packaged on Mac OS X version 10.X are only designed
> to work on that Mac OS X version 10.X; if you want to run on Mac OS X
> version 10.Y, build the ports on Mac OS X version 10.Y.
>
> You *might* have success building on an earlier Mac OS X and running on a
> later Mac OS X (though even this is not guaranteed to work and certainly is
> not supported by us). You probably will not have success building on a later
> Mac OS X and running on an earlier Mac OS X.

Such a pity. It does work when compiling with CFLAGS like "export
CFLAGS="-isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk -mmacosx-version-min=10.5"
(same for CXXFLAGS). But in that case I have to compile everything by hand.
Could I export these flags into my environment and then run my "port install
blahblah" or are these settings overruled?

Harry