py26-numpy +gcc44 requires gcc45 variant of atlas

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Thu Sep 9 11:15:52 PDT 2010

On 2010-09-09 18:34 , Michelle Gill wrote:
> My guess is that this is because gcc45 is the default variant for
> atlas, while gcc44 is the default for py26-numpy. Further, there is
> not a gcc45 variant available for py26-numpy. More importantly, will
> the issue of having two copies of gcc be avoided by first installing
> the gcc44 variant of atlas and then installing py26-numpy or do I
> need to force an install and/or edit config files? (The second option
> is no problem for me, I'm just not yet familiar with how the
> config/build system works in MacPorts.)

Usually all scientifc ports requring gfortran should be kept in sync and
use the same version of gcc. Recently in r71201 [1] atlas have been
changed to +gcc45 by default because of build problems on Macs with a
Intel Core i7 processor, see #24869 [2].

Marcus, James, and others maintaining scientific ports, please discuss
how to resolve this issue. Either going back to gcc44 or switching *all*
ports in category science to gcc45.

> I did search for this issue on the users mailing list and I suspect it's related to this:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/macports-users@lists.macosforge.org/msg19958.html

Yes, looks like we discussed this before...

> I have a related newbie question is about the use of universal vs
> gcc4X builds. Is there a rule of thumb as to which is preferable for
> someone installing a large number of python and scientific packages?
> I guess my criteria for "preferable" include ease of building
> packages and avoiding having multiple gcc versions, if possible. I'm
> on an i5 MacBook Pro.

+universal means building for multiple architectures and has nothing to
do with the compiler being used. Usually you don't need +universal
except you have multiple machines to which you will transfer archives.
Als a dependent might not build for your current architecture (e.g. wine
does not build x86_64), but MacPorts will then (re-)install with
+universal automatically.

Rainer

[1] http://trac.macports.org/changeset/71201
[2] http://trac.macports.org/ticket/24869