py26-numpy +gcc44 requires gcc45 variant of atlas

James Kyle jameskyle at macports.org
Sun Sep 12 09:57:38 PDT 2010

Regarding keep the math libraries in sync compiler wise, would it be reasonable to create a profile that could be included in portfiles?

The profile could predefine  the current recommendations for math oriented ports in a non-obtrusive, opt-in manner. e.g:

${math_gcc} would resolve to:

${prefix}/bin/gcc-mp-${math_gcc_number}

${math_compiler_port} to:

gcc${math_gcc_version}

And so on. This would allow us, if we choose, to create Portfiles that would auto-increment when consensus moved toward migration to another compiler.

Most of the time a compiler version change doesn't cause a lot of build issues itself, so I don't see this as too risky for maintainers if they opt-in. However, it would eliminate the compiler cross-linking issues we do get problems from when one of the major math ports migrate until the others modify their ports.

The only hitch I see is that a compiler change may warrant a revision increment that would not be caught by this automatic compiler increment scenario. Perhaps a solution for that could be included?

Cheers,

-james