py26-numpy +gcc44 requires gcc45 variant of atlas

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Tue Sep 14 18:51:04 PDT 2010

On 2010-09-14 22:32 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> You're right, we don't have stable and unstable port trees. The
> suggestion has come up several times in the past, but we hardly have
> the manpower to keep our current single tree up to date; I fear
> splitting the tree in two would only double the problem. I'm also
> unclear how it is decided in such a system when a port is "stable".

I agree with Ryan. We certainly do not have the man power to provide two
separate trees. Just follow the amount of open tickets [1], it's hard
enough to deal with that already. We also have to deal a lot with
disappearing and non-responsive maintainers for which we still don't
have a better solution than the 3 week abandonement [2].

> You're also right, MacPorts doesn't have the capability for ports to
> declare dependencies on a specific version of another port, only on a
> port (whatever version exists). There's little need to add this
> capability IMHO since MacPorts also doesn't have the ability to
> install a specific version of a port, only the currently-available
> version. I imagine adding this capability would be quite involved. In
> any case, nobody has added it yet; if you are sufficiently interested
> in having this feature, and are interested in driving its design and
> development, you could write a proposal to the macports-dev list.

Be aware that adding such a feature is not that easy as it means to
rewrite the whole dependency algorithm and especially deal with the
problem of solving conflicts (foo needs qux >1.0, bar needs qux <=1.0).

Rainer

[1] http://student.physik.uni-mainz.de/~reiffert/macports/
[2] http://guide.macports.org/#project.update-policies.abandonment