py26-numpy +gcc44 requires gcc45 variant of atlas

Jeff Singleton gvibe06 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 12:14:24 PDT 2010

Well ...

I can honestly say, I get all of your points.  Not that I didn't before, but
it is definitely clear now.

I am even less of a developer that the newest maintainer here, so I can only
point out what doesn't seem correct, or isn't working.  I can read code, and
on rare occasions fix minor issues derived from error messages.

Ryan ... I say I should be able to choose which Arch that I want to build
under if my hardware supports it, sometimes it isn't proper to just accept
whatever the compiler chooses.  Sometimes preference of the end user should
dictate how things should and shouldn't work...not the hardware.  If I have
a need for 32-bit, then that is my need and no one should tell me that I
can't build code in 32 bit on hardware that is natively 64 bit...if the
compiler supports it, then I should be able to tell it to do so.

As for the manpower thing ... well I guess that is something that may not
change or could change dramatically. Possibly a bit of marketing of MacPorts
might attract some talent.  Yet, as far as I know, every Linux distribution
aside from Redhat and Suse is a volunteer based community of
developers/maintainers...and even Redhat and Suse have community driven
forks that help drive the development of the mainstream distros.  So what
makes MacPorts any different from all those others, is it popularity or a
lack thereof?  Do enough people know about MacPorts and how closely it
relates to BSD ports? I suppose if just waiting around for someone to
stumble across MacPorts and see they can offer some talent to maintaining
some ports is ok, then MacPorts will just continue to move at the pace it is
now.

Besides, everyone can't be a coder, someone needs to actually use this stuff
or else no one would ever know anything was broken.  Developers always seem
to take offense when a user points out a flaw, and thus deeming the
reporting user as point man for patching or updating the code themselves.

The fact is, coding and maintaining said code is what you developers do
best.  Information Security is what I do best....and as such, I would never
divert an issue needing my attention on to the person reporting the issue.
Because of the nature of my work, doing so would almost guarantee that the
network I am protecting is exposed.

So .. if upstream is deemed responsible for fixing a code issue then how do
we bring this to their attention?  Are the Trac bugs ever viewed by upstream
or referenced in other bugs opened with the upstream issue tracker?  How can
I escalate a Trac bug from MacPorts to the upstream owners of the code in
question?

--

Your HTML signature here