Wireshark Capture support

Jeff Singleton gvibe06 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 05:53:07 PDT 2010

Oh ... if you wish to try building Wireshark from SVN, the v1.5.0 tree is
very stable and a lot of really cool plugins.  Not to mention it comes with
a 'make osx-app' command that will build the .app bundle for you...there is
also 'make osx-package' that makes the .pkg bundle.

Also, doing it this way provides a ChmodBPF script to automatically set the
permissions on the /dev/bpf* for you.

Here is the configure string I used to build with ... I added
--enable-airpcap because it adds the functionality for Wireless sniffing. I
forced my prefix to /opt/wireshark for the binaries, etc. in case I needed
to run something from the command line.

*CC=/opt/local/bin/gcc-mp-4.4 CXX=/opt/local/bin/g++-mp-4.4
CPP=/opt/local/bin/cpp-mp-4.4 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/local/lib/pkgconfig
./configure --prefix=/opt/wireshark --with-python=/opt/local
--enable-airpcap --disable-gtktest --disable-glibtest --enable-threads
--disable-warnings-as-errors*

Enjoy!

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 11:23 AM, Jasper Frumau <jasperfrumau at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 3:04 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>wrote:

>> permissions so that the 'admin' group can access the devices.
>> >
>> > I looked for bpf  as indicated at
>> http://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup/CapturePrivileges for BSD/OSX
>> >
>> > jaspersmbp:dev jasper$ ls -l | grep bpf
>> > crw-------  1 root    wheel      23,   0 Sep 15 11:13 bpf0
>> > crw-------  1 root    wheel      23,   1 Sep 15 11:01 bpf1
>> > crw-------  1 root    wheel      23,   2 Sep 15 11:01 bpf2
>> > crw-------  1 root    wheel      23,   3 Sep 15 11:01 bpf3
>> >
>> > Is this the correct folder? wil chmod 666 do?
>>
>> Yes, and that might work. Or you could do what the ChmodBPF script does:
>>
>>        chgrp admin /dev/bpf*
>>        chmod g+rw /dev/bpf*
>>

> That works. Just had to do it again on reboot .. No going through some
> packages. Thanks for all the help!

Your HTML signature here