numpy & non-Apple gcc?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Sep 17 12:22:22 PDT 2010

On Sep 17, 2010, at 14:14, Michael Dickens wrote:

> On Sep 17, 2010, at 12:48 PM, Adam Mercer wrote:
>> Looking at the history, the use of macports gcc was added when atlas
>> was added as a dependency [1]. I believe this was due to compiler ABI
>> differences.
>
> Thanks Adam; seems like maybe MacPorts/GCC/whatever don't have those differences any longer?

AFAIK the differences do still exist and will always exist. The problem as I understand it is if you try to compile library A with compiler X and compile program B (which links with library A) with compiler Y, inexplicable problems can surface, which is why all the science ports are supposed to be standardized to use a single compiler. (All of MacPorts, really, uses a single compiler -- Apple's, but with the science ports, they often need to use fortran, which means non-Apple GCC, and if one port is doing that, then its dependencies should have the option to use that same compiler too.)