loss of pdflatex

Emden R. Gansner erg at research.att.com
Sun Sep 19 06:26:43 PDT 2010

  On 9/19/10 3:10 AM, Dan Ports wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 09:18:52AM -0400, Emden R. Gansner wrote:
>> If I run kpsewhich graphics.cfg, there is no output and its exit status
>> is 1.
>> If I run as root, it finds
>>    /opt/local/share/texmf-texlive-dist/tex/latex/latexconfig/graphics.cfg
> This one has me stumped. I'm not sure why it would work only as root.
>
> You might try kpsewhich --debug 32 graphics.cfg to see if there are any
> permissions problems or the like, or compare the output of kpsepath as
> root and not.
>
> Also, any chance you have some environment variables like TEXINPUTS
> customized in your environment but not root's?

That is certainly the case, as I need to refer to additional
directories. But these are always appended to
TEXINPUTS. Where is the default TEXINPUTS set when I log in?

Thanks to you and Ryan, I have it working again. I needed the totally
new install of texlive, plus
I now put /opt/local/share/texmf-texlive-dist/tex/latex/latexconfig into
my TEXINPUTS so it can find
graphics.cfg. I still have no idea why this is necessary, and why root
has no problem.

Thanks again.

     Emden