All files port doesn't provide

Bradley Giesbrecht brad at pixilla.com
Tue Sep 21 17:07:01 PDT 2010

On Sep 21, 2010, at 3:17 PM, Rainer Müller wrote:

> On 2010-09-21 19:12 , Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:
>> Has there been discussions about adding MacPorts base files to the
>> registry?
>
> MacPorts' files would be in the registry, if we would be using
> MacPorts
> itself for the selfupdate mechanism. Otherwise see this short proposal
> in the wiki:
> http://trac.macports.org/wiki/SummerOfCode#self-management

If MacPorts was used to update itself then svn users would be using
MacPorts base from svn, right?
This would be nice :)

> We could also fake this information by editing the registry by hand at
> installation time. As new versions of MacPorts may add or remove files
> the registry always needs to be updated in 'make install' or the
> postflight script of the disk image installer.

Simpler, works, but not as cool "port update macports".

So cool, just checked it out for the first time. Never heard of the
MacPorts port before today.
port install macports
Error: Target org.macports.activate returned: Image error: /opt/local/
bin/daemondo already exists and does not belong to a registered port.

Does anyone know if "port -f install macports" is safe?
I think I'll just try it this evening.

// Brad