FastCGI PHP5 on OSX 10.6

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Sep 29 05:29:05 PDT 2010

On Sep 29, 2010, at 07:24, Norman Khine wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 2:04 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>
>> After jpeg was updated to version 8, you would have needed to rebuild php5-gd. The revbump that php5-gd received in r64827 in March should have caused this to happen. Have you not run "sudo port selfupdate" and "sudo port upgrade outdated" since before then? If not, please run it now.
>
> i have run $ sudo port selfupdate but hel back from upgrading the
> outdated ports as i did not want to break anything, my local system
> runs pretty well 'touch wood' but i see that if i do $ sudo port -yv
> upgrade --enforce-variants php5 +fastcgi
>
> it will update apache2, libtool
>
> http://pastie.org/1188783
>
> should i be worried? better make a backup first!

Backups are good, but MacPorts also by default doesn't actually uninstall old versions of ports, just deactivates them. If you find the new versions are not to your liking, you can always go back and "sudo port activate" the old versions again.

>> Note that php5-pcntl should not be used when php is running in a web server environment. See "port notes php5-pcntl" and this web page:
>
> ok, this is only on my local machine.

Ok, but if on your local machine you are using PHP in a web server environment (which you are if you're talking about Apache and/or FastCGI), then you should not use the PCNTL functions. They're only to be used on the command line version of PHP. That's my understanding of the PHP documentation anyway; if you need more information you should ask the PHP developers.