how to cross compile?

Chris Murphy bugzilla at colorremedies.com
Fri Apr 1 01:33:15 PDT 2011

On Apr 1, 2011, at 2:27 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> I am not certain if you need to add --host. I frequently see the message "If you meant to cross compile, use `--host'" fly by when building ports universal, and there is no need to add the flag. If you do need to add a block to a portfile, the portfile's location can be easily obtained by running "port file smartmontools". Or you can display the portfile contents in the terminal by running "port cat smartmontools" or edit it with your editor by running "port edit smartmontools".

I will give this a shot, thanks. It's frustrating to spend this much time on a 500KB program that requires a 4+GB installation of XCode and several hundred MB of Macports. It surprises me there aren't compiled binaries of this software floating around somewhere or I'd just download that. Compiling this myself is the last thing I really want to do. It's not fun, nor efficient.

> Note that Mac OS X's core operating system is called Darwin. (Rhapsody is what Mac OS X Server 1.x was based on, before Mac OS X 10.x and Mac OS X Server 10.x were available.)
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhapsody_(operating_system)

Yeah I figured the Macports documentation example was that ancient, but was lazy and copy pasted that line with just the arch and version changes.

Chris Murphy