how to cross compile?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Apr 1 03:56:37 PDT 2011

On Apr 1, 2011, at 05:47, Dominik Reichardt wrote:

> Am 01.04.2011 um 12:19 schrieb Ryan Schmidt:
>
>> Nothing installed by MacPorts links with any part of MacPorts itself, so certainly installing MacPorts itself on the target would not be necessary. And Xcode is only needed to compile the software; once it's compiled, that's no longer needed.
>>

> What I meant is that if you install something via macports with dependancies (libs the software depends on) these need to be either included in the binary or you need to install the dependancies via macports on the target as well.

Correct. Specifically, he would want to create the pkg using "sudo port mpkg" (or the dmg containing the pkg using "sudo port mdmg") to include those dependencies, rather than using only "sudo port pkg" (or "sudo port dmg")....

> I don't know if smartmontools HAS dependancies thiugh and am not on my mac to check.

...except that smartmontools has no dependencies so it doesn't matter.

>>> Pure xcode 3.x without ios support is < 1GB, btw. And that is for Snow Leopard only anyway.
>>> For former OSX the xcode download is even smaller.
>>
>> I was unable to find a standalone (iOS-less) Xcode 3.2.6 installer; is there one? I know there was for earlier 3.2.x releases.
>
> Hmm, can't look right now but also can't vouch for it.
> But the xcode for leopard should be availlable. I think 3.2.6 is only for snow leopard.

Absolutely. The latest Xcode for Leopard is 3.1.4. It's 993MB.