GNUmail won't install

Dushan Mitrovich dushanm at spinn.net
Fri Apr 1 22:06:04 PDT 2011

I've been trying to install GNUmail on my system (X.6.5) but keep
running into 'configure failure' problems.  Macports is up to date.

On trying to install the dependencies individually (SQLClient,
Performance, gnustep-base, oniguruma5, and Pantomime), I'm always
informed that gnustep-base failed to install.  Here are the last parts
of the main.log files (lines beginning with four blank spaces are
continuation lines) when trying to install
______
GNUmail:
:msg:main --->  Dependencies to be installed: Etoile SQLClient Performance
     gnustep-base oniguruma5 Pantomime
:debug:main Starting logging for gnustep-base
:error:configure The following dependencies were not installed: Etoile
SQLClient
     Performance gnustep-base oniguruma5 Pantomime
:error:configure Status 1 encountered during processing.
__________
gnustep-base:
:info:configure checking whether objc really works... no
:info:configure I don't seem to be able to use your Objective-C compiler
to produce
:info:configure working binaries!  Please check your Objective-C
compiler installation.
:info:configure If you are using gcc-3.x make sure that your compiler's
libgcc_s and
     libobjc
:info:configure can be found by the dynamic linker - usually that
requires you to play
:info:configure with LD_LIBRARY_PATH or /etc/ld.so.conf.
:info:configure Please refer to your compiler installation instructions
for more help.
:info:configure configure: error: The Objective-C compiler does not work
or is not
     installed properly.
:info:configure shell command " cd
"/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_gnustep_
     gnustep-base/work/gnustep-base-1.19.1" && ./configure
--prefix=/opt/local
     CC=/usr/bin/gcc-4.2 GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES=/opt/local/GNUstep/System/Library
     /Makefiles --disable-tls --enable-libffi
--with-ffi-include=/opt/local/include
     /gcc42 --with-ffi-library=/opt/local/lib/gcc42 " returned error 1
:error:configure Target org.macports.configure returned: configure
failure: shell
     command failed (see log for details)
:debug:configure Backtrace: configure failure: shell command failed (see
log for
     details)
     while executing
"$procedure $targetname"
:info:configure Warning: the following items did not execute (for
gnustep-base):
     org.macports.activate org.macports.configure org.macports.build
     org.macports.destroot org.macports.install
:error:configure Failed to install gnustep-base
________
Pantomime:
:msg:main --->  Dependencies to be installed: gnustep-base
:debug:main Starting logging for gnustep-base
:error:configure The following dependencies were not installed: gnustep-base
:error:configure Status 1 encountered during processing.
_______
SQLClient:
:msg:clean --->  Dependencies to be installed: Performance gnustep-base
:debug:clean Starting logging for gnustep-base
:error:configure The following dependencies were not installed: Performance
     gnustep-base
:error:configure Status 1 encountered during processing.

The log file for gnustep-base seems to suggest that there is no
functioning Objective C compiler.  How do I address this?  EasyFind is
able to find hundreds of 'objc' files and folders, but I guess that
doesn't prove anything.

Help figuring out what I need to do, and check, would be much appreciated.

- Dushan Mitrovich