Why $ xmlstarlet and not just $ xml as in the man?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Apr 8 01:10:38 PDT 2011

On Apr 8, 2011, at 01:02, Gabriele Kahlout wrote:

> I've $ sudo port install xmlstarlet,  and then expected to be able to run $ xml --help but only $ xmlstarlet --help, works:
>
> XMLStarlet Toolkit: Command line utilities for XML
> Usage: xml [<options>] <command> [<cmd-options>]
> where <command> is one of:
>   ed    (or edit)      - Edit/Update XML document(s)
>   sel   (or select)    - Select data or query XML document(s) (XPATH, etc)
>   tr    (or transform) - Transform XML document(s) using XSLT
>   val   (or validate)  - Validate XML document(s) (well-formed/DTD/XSD/RelaxNG)
>   fo    (or format)    - Format XML document(s)
>   el    (or elements)  - Display element structure of XML document
>   c14n  (or canonic)   - XML canonicalization
>   ls    (or list)      - List directory as XML
>   esc   (or escape)    - Escape special XML characters
>   unesc (or unescape)  - Unescape special XML characters
>   pyx   (or xmln)      - Convert XML into PYX format (based on ESIS - ISO 8879)
>   p2x   (or depyx)     - Convert PYX into XML
> <options> are:
>   --version            - show version
>   --help               - show help
> Wherever file name mentioned in command help it is assumed
> that URL can be used instead as well.
>
> Type: xml <command> --help <ENTER> for command help
>
> XMLStarlet is a command line toolkit to query/edit/check/transform
> XML documents (for more information see http://xmlstar.sourceforge.net/)
>
> P.S. I wasn't sure if there was another place for specific port questions.

Perhaps "xmlstarlet" used to be called "xml" but was later renamed. "xml" is a fairly generic kind of program name, so they probably ran into problems with other existing programs of that name.

I've updated the port from 1.0.1_1 to 1.1.0_0; in this version, the developer updated the message printed by "xmlstarlet --help" to correctly show that the command name is "xmlstarlet" not "xml". However the manpage and many other documentation files still list the program name as "xml". I fixed the reference in the manpage in 1.1.0_1, but you should report this problem to the developers of xmlstarlet so they can fix all occurrences of the problem.