Why $ xmlstarlet and not just $ xml as in the man?
ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Apr 8 01:10:38 PDT 2011
On Apr 8, 2011, at 01:02, Gabriele Kahlout wrote:
> I've $ sudo port install xmlstarlet, and then expected to be able to run $ xml --help but only $ xmlstarlet --help, works:
> XMLStarlet Toolkit: Command line utilities for XML
> Usage: xml [<options>] <command> [<cmd-options>]
> where <command> is one of:
> ed (or edit) - Edit/Update XML document(s)
> sel (or select) - Select data or query XML document(s) (XPATH, etc)
> tr (or transform) - Transform XML document(s) using XSLT
> val (or validate) - Validate XML document(s) (well-formed/DTD/XSD/RelaxNG)
> fo (or format) - Format XML document(s)
> el (or elements) - Display element structure of XML document
> c14n (or canonic) - XML canonicalization
> ls (or list) - List directory as XML
> esc (or escape) - Escape special XML characters
> unesc (or unescape) - Unescape special XML characters
> pyx (or xmln) - Convert XML into PYX format (based on ESIS - ISO 8879)
> p2x (or depyx) - Convert PYX into XML
> <options> are:
> --version - show version
> --help - show help
> Wherever file name mentioned in command help it is assumed
> that URL can be used instead as well.
> Type: xml <command> --help <ENTER> for command help
> XMLStarlet is a command line toolkit to query/edit/check/transform
> XML documents (for more information see http://xmlstar.sourceforge.net/)
> P.S. I wasn't sure if there was another place for specific port questions.
Perhaps "xmlstarlet" used to be called "xml" but was later renamed. "xml" is a fairly generic kind of program name, so they probably ran into problems with other existing programs of that name.
I've updated the port from 1.0.1_1 to 1.1.0_0; in this version, the developer updated the message printed by "xmlstarlet --help" to correctly show that the command name is "xmlstarlet" not "xml". However the manpage and many other documentation files still list the program name as "xml". I fixed the reference in the manpage in 1.1.0_1, but you should report this problem to the developers of xmlstarlet so they can fix all occurrences of the problem.
More information about the macports-users