Why $ xmlstarlet and not just $ xml as in the man?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Apr 8 11:50:10 PDT 2011

On Apr 8, 2011, at 09:51, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> On 2011-04-08 03:10:38 -0500, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> Perhaps "xmlstarlet" used to be called "xml" but was later renamed.
>
> No, its official name has always been "xml", but it seems that there
> are some inconsistences on upstream's side.
>
> With MacPorts, the name of the binary is xmlstarlet just because of
>
>  --program-transform-name=s/xml$/${name}/
>
> in the Portfile.

Oh! Thanks for pointing that out. I had just been looking for patchfiles that changed the program name, and totally overlooked the --program-transform-name argument.

Modifying all the references in the documentation files ourselves would be tedious... instead, I've added notes to the port alerting the user to the discrepancy.

https://trac.macports.org/changeset/77676