Insufficient privileges?

John B Brown jbb at vcn.com
Mon Apr 18 10:30:59 PDT 2011

Dear Folk,

	I've found the 'native' sudo to be insufficient. My solution is a complete
compile and install right over the Apple version. The important setting in the
configure line is --with-exempt=[group] to get a fully useful sudo without the
necessity of using 'su.' You get to do it all as yourself if you are a member of
[group]. It has worked through three OS upgrades.

	http://www.gratisoft.us/sudo/sudo.html

	I currently use Sudo version 1.7.4p4.

Scott Webster wrote:
> Is your user an administrator?  If not, you need to su to an
> administrator user before using sudo.
>
> Scott
>
> On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 5:51 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>> On Apr 17, 2011, at 16:27, earachefl wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying to install ImageMagick on 10.5 , using "$magick> sudo port install
>>> ImageMagick" and get error message: "Error: Insufficient privileges to write
>>> to MacPorts install prefix." I've run sudo port selfupdate already. What
>>> should I try? Thanks!
>> Curious. You'd think with sudo you'd be getting root privileges which should be able to do *anything*.
>>
>> Have you set macportsuser to something (other than root) in macports.conf?

	Shalom,

	John B. Brown.
	[jbb at vcn.com]
	358 High Street,
	Buffalo, Wyoming
	82834

"Freedom is not worth having if it does not include
the freedom to make mistakes"  Mahatma Gandhi
"There was never a good war, or a bad peace."
Benjamin Franklin
"I wonder whether the world is being run
by smart people who are putting us on
or by imbeciles who really mean it."  Mark Twain

1-307-684-9068