Insufficient privileges?

John B Brown jbb at vcn.com
Mon Apr 18 11:15:56 PDT 2011

Daniel J. Luke wrote:
> On Apr 18, 2011, at 1:30 PM, John B Brown wrote:
>> 	I've found the 'native' sudo to be insufficient. My solution is a complete compile and install right over the Apple version.
>
> I highly recommend that no one ever do this.
>
> If you replace Apple software with your own software, things may work. Things may also break unexpectedly.
>
> Things probably will break in the future (as any future Apple software update may replace or remove your software).
>
>> The important setting in the configure line is --with-exempt=[group] to get a fully useful sudo without the necessity of using 'su.'
>
> That configure flag lets a group use sudo without entering a password and has nothing to do with using 'su' or not.
>
> Both what you describe as wanting (be able to use sudo without 'su'-ing to someone else), and what you describe setting (being able to use sudo without entering a password) can be configured in sudo's configuration file /etc/sudoers

	Unfortunately, No, sudoers does not work as advertised. Witness the original
complaint.

	However, claiming the sky will fall if you chose what you want in your computer
is ridiculous! Recompile fixes a myriad of "Apple knows best" crap.

	Or did you invest in that expensive CS degree to stop thinking?

> --
> Daniel J. Luke
> +========================================================+
> | *---------------- dluke at geeklair.net ----------------* |
> | *-------------- http://www.geeklair.net -------------* |
> +========================================================+
> |   Opinions expressed are mine and do not necessarily   |
> |          reflect the opinions of my employer.          |
> +========================================================+

	Shalom,

	John B. Brown.
	[jbb at vcn.com]
	358 High Street,
	Buffalo, Wyoming
	82834

"Freedom is not worth having if it does not include
the freedom to make mistakes"  Mahatma Gandhi
"There was never a good war, or a bad peace."
Benjamin Franklin
"I wonder whether the world is being run
by smart people who are putting us on
or by imbeciles who really mean it."  Mark Twain

1-307-684-9068