Insufficient privileges?

John B Brown jbb at vcn.com
Fri Apr 29 08:38:12 PDT 2011

Bayard Bell wrote:
> On 29 Apr 2011, at 02:43, John B Brown wrote:
>
>> Dear Bradley,
>>
>> 	There is no root group on my machine, and I added myself to wheel group using 'Preferences.' I left the 'wheel' group sudoers lines untouched. I added my user name to sudoers. "jbb     ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL"
>>
>> 	There is no tree '/Local' on my machine. sudo is in the same place. There is no subtree labeled 'Default/Groups.' I use 'locate' for system search. What system are you on? Mine is Snow Leopard;
>
> /Local isn't a directory tree, it's a namespace for DirectoryServices that accesses the BSD files (and some local XML data) for name service and config data. Does dscl actually give you an error when you attempt a command like:
>
> dscl localhost -read /Local/Default/Groups/wheel GroupMembership
>
> If so, what's the error? The diagnostics given here seem exactly what you need to get to the bottom of any problems you're having.

jbb at pinball:~
(1): % dscl -read /Local/Default/Groups/wheel GroupMembership
Cannot open remote host, error: DSOpenDirServiceErr
jbb at pinball:~
(2): % sudo dscl -read /Local/Default/Groups/wheel GroupMembership
Cannot open remote host, error: DSOpenDirServiceErr

	Whatever that means. As you can see by other notes, groups works me.

>> Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:
>>> John, I don't have this NOPASSWD issue. Did you add yourself to the wheel group?
>>> pillbox:pixilla brad$ sudo which sudo
>>> /usr/bin/sudo
>>> pillbox:pixilla brad$ sudo grep -E "^%wheel" /etc/sudoers %wheel	ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL
>>> pillbox:pixilla brad$ dscl localhost -read /Local/Default/Groups/wheel | grep GroupMembership
>>> GroupMembership: root brad
>>> Regards,
>>> Bradley Giesbrecht (pixilla)

	Shalom,

	John B. Brown.
	[jbb at vcn.com]
	358 High Street,
	Buffalo, Wyoming
	82834

"Freedom is not worth having if it does not include
the freedom to make mistakes"  Mahatma Gandhi
"There was never a good war, or a bad peace."
Benjamin Franklin
"I wonder whether the world is being run
by smart people who are putting us on
or by imbeciles who really mean it."  Mark Twain

1-307-684-9068