Compatible with Mac OS X Server 10.6?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Apr 30 23:02:06 PDT 2011

On Apr 30, 2011, at 20:43, René Fournier wrote:

> To meet PCI compliance, I need to update Apache's OpenSSL to the latest version (1.0.0d). We're using Xserves running OS X Server 10.6.7.
>
> Can someone tell me, is MacPorts safe to use on OS X Server?

I would expect so. MacPorts is designed to be separate from anything the OS provides.

> And specifically, what are the consequences with respect to Server Admin and some of the other web services that Apple provides therein (such as the Wiki)?

Using MacPorts will not affect Server Admin or the services it manages. You can continue to use Server Admin to manage the software Apple provided in Mac OS X Server, or you can use the software MacPorts provides (which will not be managed by Server Admin).

You might be able to hack Server Admin to manage MacPorts software, or hack updated MacPorts components into the software Apple provides with Mac OS X, as Jeremy talked about, but that's not supported. There are some tickets requesting that this be better supported, but they're not implemented yet:

https://trac.macports.org/ticket/14001

https://trac.macports.org/ticket/14105