Emacs cannot open termcap database resolution

Rodolfo Aramayo raramayo at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 07:23:45 PDT 2011

FYI,

We were finally able to pin down the reason why emacs could not open
the termcap database in some of my computers but not in others

To make a long story short: emacs was being compiled against
'libintl.dylib' library that was built for i386 which is not the
architecture being linked (x86_64).
This library was part of an INACTIVE Fink installation.

This is very confusing to me because:
Fink was NOT active. I installed it because I was trying to install a
weird program. But after that I removed Fink from my PATHS.
I had No Fink in '/etc/profile'
No Fink in .bashrc.
No Fink in .bash_profile.
Regardless, somehow during emacs compilation the wrong ncurses library
was being found and emacs was linking to the incorrect compilation of
libncurses.

The solution: I deleted the '/sw' directory and proceeded to
re-install emacs via Ports and YES this time it works!!

Hope this helps

--R