port selfupdate failed (on Lion)

robert delius royar apple at frinabulax.org
Thu Aug 4 10:48:54 PDT 2011

Thu, 4 Aug 2011 (17:57 +0200 UTC) Rainer Müller wrote:

> On 2011-08-04 17:40 , Johannes Ruscheinski wrote:
>> Error: /opt/local/bin/port: port selfupdate failed: Error installing
>> new MacPorts base: shell command failed
>>
>> I assume this is a common problem on Lion?   If not, I'd be happy to
>> provide whatever logs are needed to troubleshoot this.
>
> No, MacPorts is supposed to work on Lion.
>
> Please run 'sudo port -d selfupdate' to see the debug output. It should
> indicate what exactly failed.
>
> Rainer

I see the same problem on SL and did for 2.00. The problem is that after
the error `port -v` reports that the new version is installed, and
repeating the command `port selfupdate` with '-vd' does not provide any
useful answers because selfupdate does not recognize that there was an
error. Finally, the output says to see the log, but there are only logs
for individual packages in /opt/local/var/macports/logs. I could not
find another place where the install logs are stored.

Would it help to go to the
/opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/base
directory and rerun configure/make/make install to see what errors there
might have been? At first I suspected it was from trying to make a
macports user, but the user existed for the 2.0 to 2.01 update.

--
  rdr