gcc 4.6 port for OSX Lion

Jason Swails jason.swails at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 11:06:57 PDT 2011

Building macports should put /opt/local/bin in your PATH before anything
else in your .bash_profile or .profile file (I don't recall which), so
unless you've changed something that should already be there.

Secondly, I'd suggest installing gcc_select to manage different compiler
versions.  You certainly can play with the links yourself to get it to work,
but why not let a package that already exists do it? ;)

I use it to toggle between many versions (4.2, 4.3, 4.4, 4.5, and 4.6, in
addition to the apple versions).

Also, who uses a java compiler?  Why not just use a JRE to run java
programs?  From what I've heard, gcj is lacking in full feature support
anyway (so it doesn't seem like no java + fortran support really matters
much, and I use both languages).

All the best,
Jason

On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 1:59 PM, vincent habchi <vince at macports.org> wrote:

> Christophe,
>
> > Well, all I need is actually C-family languages so I think it'll be ok.
> > So I've chosen gcc46 port that install 4.6.01 and all seems to work fine.
>
> You can find elsewhere (ticket #29184), or I can handle you, a portfile
> that will bump to latest 4.6.1.
>
> > To use this new version, I had to change some symbolic links in /usr/bin.
> > Was it right to proceed that way ? By the way, what is the difference
> between
> > x86_64-apple-darwin11-gcc-4.6.1 and x86_64-apple-darwin11-gcc-mp-4.6?
> > What does 'mp' stand for?
>
> 'MP' stands for MacPorts.
>
> Usually, it is a *bad* idea to alter /usr/bin tools, because other parts of
> the systems may depend on them.
> If you want to use your gcc46, you must add /opt/local/bin in your PATH
> variable and call gcc-mp-4.6 instead. Or, in /opt/local/bin, link your gcc46
> to gcc.
>
> Vincent

Jason M. Swails
Quantum Theory Project,