kde installation question

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 18:32:41 PDT 2011

On 05/08/2011, at 10:27 AM, Monika Szulc wrote:
> I have recently installed MacPorts and among other things kde. I was trying to use neuroscope, but received the following error message
>
> Will not save configuration.
> Configuration
> file "/Users/UserName/.kde/share/config/neuroscoperc" not writable
>
> the file .kde is owned by root and has permissions 700
>
> Can I change the ownership to the admin and also the permissions so that it's writable?

~/.kde (or $HOME/.kde) on a Linux system would be where KDE 3
applications and libraries keep your personal config, preferences,
what you were doing last time, etc.  It would definitely have the
same ownership as /Users/UserName (or $HOME).  And permissions
700 is fine.  So you could try changing ownership and see if it works.

With KDE 4 applications, a Linux system would use $HOME/.kde4
for these purposes, but Macports does something quite different and
more in line with OS X usage.

So I wonder if your .kde directory is legit in the Macports world ...

Cheers, Ian W