Error m4 port not found. I tried selfupdate and found Failed to parse file errors.

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Aug 4 21:03:41 PDT 2011

On Aug 4, 2011, at 16:06, Jacob, Raymond A Jr. CIV SPAWARSYSCEN-ATLANTIC, 58150 wrote:

> Subject: re: Error m4 port not found. I tried selfupdate and found
> Failed to parse file errors.
>

> I am using subversion to update ports instead of rsynch. In case that
> has anything to do with the problem.
>
> Question: is the problem with installs_libs?

installs_libs is a new command introduced in MacPorts 2.0.0. MacPorts 1.x will not understand it. That is why you must update to MacPorts 2.0.0 first, which is what selfupdate is supposed to do.

> $  sudo port -d  selfupdate
>
> Total number of ports parsed:	147
> Ports successfully parsed:	115
> Ports failed:			32
> Up-to-date ports skipped:	8089
>
> DEBUG: MacPorts sources location: /opt/local/var/macports/sources/
> rsync.macports.org/release/base
> --->  Updating MacPorts base sources using rsync
> rsync: failed to connect to rsync.macports.org: Operation timed out (60)

Evidently you are not able to connect to our rsync server, therefore you cannot selfupdate. Try again later. If it's not a temporary problem, and your network is banning access to rsync servers, and you or your network administrators cannot fix that, you'll have to update MacPorts base to 2.0.1 another way, for example by visiting our web site and downloading the disk image and running the installer package.