kde installation question

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 00:53:21 PDT 2011

On 05/08/2011, at 4:48 PM, Marko Käning wrote:

> On Aug 5, 2011, at 2:27 AM, Monika Szulc wrote:
>> I have recently installed MacPorts and among other things kde. I was trying to use neuroscope,
> That's interesting. I can't find a port called neuroscope…

Heh!  I see new doors opening ...  http://neuroscope.sourceforge.net/

"NeuroScope is an advanced viewer for electrophysiological and behavioral data: it can display local field potentials (EEG), neuronal spikes, behavioral events, as well as the position of the animal in the environment. It also features limited editing capabilities. NeuroScope is part of a larger data analysis framework ..."

It appears to be a KDE 3 based package, but not part of KDE releases.  I guess that on Monika's
system it is using or attempting to use the KDE 3 libraries etc. provided by Macports.  And why not,
I say?  Good luck, Monika.

But guys, is Macports happy to provide de facto KDE 3 and KDE 4 distros on Mac?  And is this
in line with Macports' objectives?  Are those objectives to provide "bleeding edge" ports as far
as possible (i.e. not necessarily stable)?  I get that impression, but then I am also fairly new
to Macports.  It does a wonderful job, but sometimes I get a bit worried by "sudo port selfupdate".

> And yes, for KDE4 you'd need to deinstall kde, which is actually KDE3, and install the kde4-related ports.

Can KDE 3 and KDE 4 not co-exist in Macports?  They do in Linux.

And there are lots of applications that run on KDE 3 and have not yet been ported to KDE 4.
See some possibilities on http://kde-apps.org/ which has a mix of KDE 3, KDE 4, Qt 3 and
Qt 4 third-party apps.

All the best, Ian W.