python_select/ipython_select

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Aug 6 19:19:08 PDT 2011

On Aug 6, 2011, at 09:21, mark brethen wrote:

> python_select and ipython_select are installed when versions of python and ipython ports are installed. I seem to recall that python_select was deprecated. Is this true for ipython_select?
>
> What is the current procedure for setting the default python/ipython?

My understanding is that the select programs, like python_select, are not only deprecated, but completely gone. The replacement for these programs is the port select command, for example the replacement for the "python_select" program is "port select python."

However, I understand that the files still installed by the *_select ports are still required for the "port select" mechanism to work correctly, which is why the *_select ports still exist and are not deprecated.