Python frameworks

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Aug 8 09:48:29 PDT 2011

On Aug 6, 2011, at 11:20, mark brethen wrote:

> Would it be best to create a 'pylint' group and use port select? This would reflect the developer's viewpoint:
>
>> I'm kind of reluctant to handle this in Spyder's code (of course, if it's the only way, we will take action anyway) because there is absolutely no reason for MacPorts to differentiate pylint scripts depending on Python minor version number: after all, this script is an executable that should behaves exactly the same way on any Python version.
>>
>> Of course this would make sense to differentiate pylint executable for Python 2 and Python 3.
>>
>> So the purist in me would tend to say that when pylint is properly installed, the command 'pylint' should work in a terminal.

I understand the developer's viewpoint, but he is probably not aware of all of the complexities involving software packaging.

We have multiple ports for spyder and pylint in MacPorts (for each of several versions of Python). These can be installed simultaneously, so they cannot install the same files. So none of these can install an executable /opt/local/bin/pylint.

We could certainly entertain the idea of making the py*lint ports use the select portgroup, which you've requested here:

https://trac.macports.org/ticket/30626

That would help users run "pylint" by that name, but it is not a solution for other software (like spyder) that wants to run pylint, for reasons explained in Joshua's comments in that ticket.