Python frameworks

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Aug 8 09:50:51 PDT 2011

On Aug 8, 2011, at 11:43, Russell Jones wrote:

> Or simpler for the user (perhaps) have an "as_python" option, the default (this would work for ipython, too), which would set the value based on the selected version of python, e.g. python2.7 -> pylint-2.7 (or however it's written in the "port select" names)

I don't understand this "as_python" suggestion. Are you suggesting that a port, such as py27-pylint, should install different contents (e.g. a pylint symlink, or not), depending on what python has been selected with "sudo port select python"? If so, I would be strongly against that. "port select" is exclusively for a user's convenience; no port should change how it installs or functions based on what the user may or may not have "port select"ed.