openmpi versus mpich2

Jason Swails jason.swails at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 11:25:53 PDT 2011

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 2:19 PM, Rodolfo Aramayo <raramayo at gmail.com> wrote:

> The developer of the package I want to run (Velvet) told me I should
> just install 'libgomp'
>
> Can you guys translate this for me?
>
> Is he talking about openmpi or mpich2?? or something else??

Something else.  libgomp is the GNU implementation of the OpenMP
parallelization scheme.  Note that OpenMPI and mpich2 are both message
passing interface (MPI) implementations designed for shared and distributed
memory systems (oversimplified; multi-core computers and many multi-core
computers networked together) by passing messages between the different
threads.  OpenMP is a shared memory parallelization scheme that has
different syntax and design philosophy to MPI.

OpenMP is (from what I've heard) simpler to write and implement than MPI,
yet it is limited to shared-memory machines and thus cannot scale as high as
MPI.

However, if you're just trying to compile code that someone else has already
written, you need to know which one they used to parallelize their code and
link with those libraries.  If the developer of the package you're trying to
use says to install libgomp, then just do that (or some other OpenMP
implementation if it's available) and leave MPI alone ;).

Hope this helps,
Jason

--
Jason M. Swails