Gperf 3.0.4_2 - OS Lion - universal binary error?

Will Pearse will.pearse at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 07:19:10 PDT 2011

Hello,

Sorry to bother everyone, but I'm having trouble loading gperf, and would really appreciate some help as I can't update all of my ports until I fix this error!

When I clean, and then install gperf (having earlier uninstalled it):

{{{
sudo port clean gperf
--->  Cleaning gperf
lb-wdp08maclap:~ will$ sudo port install gperf
--->  Fetching archive for gperf
--->  Attempting to fetch gperf-3.0.4_2.darwin_11.x86_64.tbz2 from http://packages.macports.org/gperf
--->  Fetching gperf
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for gperf
--->  Extracting gperf
--->  Applying patches to gperf
--->  Configuring gperf
--->  Building gperf
--->  Staging gperf into destroot
--->  Installing gperf @3.0.4_2
--->  Activating gperf @3.0.4_2
--->  Cleaning gperf
}}}

All goes well. But then I attempt to update all my ports:

{{{
sudo port upgrade outdated
--->  Computing dependencies for libiconv
--->  Dependencies to be installed: gperf
--->  Fetching archive for gperf
--->  Attempting to fetch gperf-3.0.4_2+universal.darwin_11.i386-x86_64.tbz2 from http://packages.macports.org/gperf
--->  Fetching gperf
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for gperf
--->  Extracting gperf
--->  Applying patches to gperf
--->  Configuring gperf
Error: Target org.macports.configure returned: configure failure: shell command failed (see log for details)
Error: Failed to install gperf
Log for gperf is at: /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_devel_gperf/gperf/main.log
Error: The following dependencies were not installed: gperf
Error: Problem while installing libiconv
To report a bug, see <http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets>
}}}

...and ports attempts to install a a universal.darwin variant (I think?). No amount of cleaning, using the force option or re-installing would fix this issue, and I don't know how to update all ports bar gperf so I can't upgrade until this is sorted. I found a few people with the same problem online, and couldn't find a solution, so I logged this as a bug, and was told (as the bug was closed) that:

> "You have a partially completed build of gperf. Do what the message says:
> either continue the build with the same variants it was started with, or
> clean."

I'm very happy to do that, but I've tried cleaning and don't know how to specify the correct variant. How do I specify variants? Googling around found one site, but I didn't have any luck following their instructions.

I'm sorry to be such a n00b, but could anyone help me?

Thanks very much for your time, and I'm sorry for the bother,

Will

PS - I'm on a 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro, with XCode 4.1 installed, running OS Lion (OS Lion being a mistake... :p)