Deleted image files in MacPorts - how to fix?

Jon macports.org.ws at jondh.me.uk
Thu Aug 11 11:34:53 PDT 2011

Hi all

New subscriber here. I recently deleted some image folders (in
/opt/local/var/macports/software/) upon advice in a macports bug
report, and find that it has somewhat borked my macports install. I
have documented everything I have tried in this post:

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/20302/repairing-macports-after-deleting-image-folders

I am really keen to fix this without reinstalling macports entirely.
In fact I went to the uninstall part of the macports manual, and it
recommended that uninstalling is rarely necessary, and that I should
ask for help first. So, here I am! Any ideas or suggestions gratefully
received.

Thanks in advance,

Jon
Birmingham, UK