Error: Unable to open port: invalid command name "installs_libs"

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Aug 12 14:49:00 PDT 2011

On Aug 12, 2011, at 14:25, Andrew Todd wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 1:52 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>> Correct, selfupdate always uses rsync. There is no setting to change this. MacPorts 2.0.x does not change this.
>>
>> You can use the 2.0.1 .dmg installer to upgrade your MacPorts. This will not adversely affect any ports you have installed.
>
> Thanks, I was able to upgrade using the installer. Although I should
> mention that the installer still hangs near the end and requires a
> force-quit just as it did with 1.9.2 -- I presume because of the rsync
> issue. I realize that this is an edge case, but it's not exactly
> friendly failure.

I am surprised a force-quit was necessary. What was the last thing in the installer's log window when this occurred?

What happens on your network when using rsync? Does it just hang? That could explain the installer hanging. But I would have expected rsync to exit with an error code if a problem occurred.

>> We don't appear to cache the homepage at all on our end (it's being re-generated by PHP every time it's accessed) and we updated the homepage to list version 2.0.1 right after it came out, 10 days ago.
>
> As soon as I explicitly told Firefox to reload the page, it came up as
> 2.0.1. I'm not well-versed enough in browser caching to figure out why
> it happened, but I wonder if there's a cache-control headers issue.

We aren't using any cache-control headers:

$ curl -I http://www.macports.org/
HTTP/1.1 200 OK