port selfupdate fails

Andrew Long andrew.long at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 15 10:42:24 PDT 2011

I've just tried to self update the ports tree from 2.0.0 to 2.0.1, and it has failed *again* This has happened to me for over a year now; the symptoms is that it tells me the following:-

Warning: port definitions are more than two weeks old, consider using selfupdate
--->  Updating the ports tree
--->  Updating MacPorts base sources using rsync
MacPorts base version 2.0.0 installed,
MacPorts base version 2.0.1 downloaded.
--->  MacPorts base is outdated, installing new version 2.0.1
Installing new MacPorts release in /opt/local as root:admin; permissions 0755; Tcl-Package in /Library/Tcl

Error: /opt/local/bin/port: port selfupdate failed: Error installing new MacPorts base: shell command failed (see log for details)

There's no indication of where to look for the log. Every time this has happened to me in the past I've had to download the new DMG and re-install from there; since the port is supposed to be self-updating, I guess there's something weird about my installation.
<<<<

Can someone please tell me where to look for the log, so I can have a try at self-diagnosing, or perhaps tell me where to look for what the *real* problem is?

Regards, Andy
--
Andrew Long
andrew dot long at yahoo dot com