hangs when building python26 & python27

Mark Hattam mark at dxradio.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 24 14:04:04 PDT 2011

On 24 Aug 2011, at 20:11, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Aug 24, 2011, at 13:28, Mark Hattam wrote:
>
>> Having just (22nd Aug) port upgraded python26 and python27 I ran into the same hang that I often get when building these ports ... I see in Terminal a "shell command cd" failed
>
> Most MacPorts ports build by running a shell command that cd's to a directory and then runs a build command. So reporting that a shell command failed does not help isolate the problem.
>
>> with a log file reference, but after that I appear to get a complete OS hang which is only resolved with a power-off/reboot.
>
> It should not be possible for MacPorts to cause an OS hang. If your OS hangs, it is probably because you have other problems with your computer: bad hardware (RAM, CPU, logic board, hard drive), bad kernel extensions installed, etc.
>
>> After restarting, the log is not there, I usually port clean and port upgrade again, and it builds through to completion without apparent problem.
>>
>> This time I copied the logfile to a usb stick before the machine hung (just).
>>
>> 3.06 GHz Core2Duo iMac, 4 GB RAM, OSX 10.6.8, MacPorts 2.0.1
>>
>> Below is the main.log for the build

> snip

> Since this was not a clean build (note the lines saying "Skipping completed") you should definitely clean and try again; since you already did that and it worked, I'd consider the matter closed. Clean and try again anytime any error occurs in MacPorts.

This was the result of the first attempt to upgrade the port from 2.7.2_0 tp 2.7.2_1 due to [82967] trunk/dports ... (I have python27 installed as a dependency of maildrop).

So should I be doing a "port clean" everytime before upgrading any port?

The iMac is otherwise stable, it runs 24/7 and doesn't hang while running memory intensive or cpu intensive or disk intensive Mac programs. This just happens to be the first time I've managed to make a copy of the main.log before it vanishes.