Unexpected installation problems with MacPorts

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Aug 30 13:39:02 PDT 2011

On Aug 30, 2011, at 09:12, Rodolfo Aramayo wrote:

> This morning I concentrated on a single machine and found that many,
> many, many ports are failing to recognize the perl XML::parser as
> being installed. But it is. In fact I have:
>  p5-xml-sax-expat @0.400.0_3 (active)
>  p5.12-xml-sax-expat @0.400.0_3 (active)
> installed

perl XML::parser is p5*-xml-parser, not p5*-xml-sax-expat

If that was just a typo, then sadly, we have had many many many prior reports of p5*-xml-parser not being found, though it's clearly there; you can probably find a dozen prior tickets in the issue tracker on this. But as far as I recall it always turned out to be user error, often of the kind where the user did not uninstall and reinstall all ports after upgrading to Snow Leopard, and other times of the kind where the user switched what version of perl they were using. What versions of perl are installed?