Why was the macports user implemented

Rodolfo Aramayo raramayo at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 12:26:24 PDT 2011

Great. Good explanation. Thanks, but then that begs the question as to
why the files in '/opt/local/' are not owned by macports:macports and
instead by 'root:admin and/or root:wheel'? Am I missing something in
here??

Regardless we have to 'sudo'  to install MacPorts and its ports, right?

You said " The typical way of implementing this is creating a user and group, so
> permissions on files can be set to `macports:macports`."

can be set or must be set??

Does MacPorts checks if the ports are owned by macports:macports?

Thanks

--R