MacPorts Leopard + Apache 2.2.17 + PHP 5.3.5 + WordPress 3.0.4 + 1 million or so users per month issue

Betty Bronner bettybronner at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 1 10:01:14 PST 2011

Yes, it is weird, but that is what was happening.  The problem only showed up
with MacPorts Apache/PHP and only seemed to happen randomly.  We reversed each
change one by one until we were left with just the Apache/PHP switch.  The
random RSS feed problem went away as soon as we switched back to Apple Apache
(2.2.13) and Entropy PHP (5.3.0).

This morning I remembered having difficulty getting MacPorts to initially
compile some of the early dependencies until I found and installed the latest
XCode for Leopard (3.1.4?).  It successfully built the first few ports but had a
warning at the start of the whole process that said that certain ports wouldn't
like the version of XCode  I was building with (3.1.2?  It was whatever version
that Leopard came with) and eventually it hit one of those ports and stopped
building.  I upgraded XCode at that point and then the build continued where it
left off without any further difficulties.  I've since uninstalled MacPorts
(sudo port uninstall installed) and then rebuilt everything from scratch but we
haven't tried those binaries in production.  So it is tempting to try switching
again but I'm more eager to try nginx at this point.  Now that I think about it,
mixing binaries from multiple XCode versions might be problematic but I figured
at the time that since everything successfully built that there wouldn't be any
issues.  Nothing said that I needed to start over, so I didn't.

- Betty