Running meld (dbus error: autolaunch requested but X11 support not compiled)

Ionut Georgescu ionutg at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 16:59:07 PST 2011

iulian dragos <jaguarul <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Command line `dbus-launch
> --autolaunch=8b3f1f14a2f770b7442e2c414d3803b3 --binary-syntax
> --close-stderr' exited with non-zero exit status 1: Autolaunch
> requested, but X11 support not compiled in.\nCannot continue.\n)
>
> I didn't find any information about X11 support in dbus on the net (at
> least, nothing useful). Can anyone help me? Even just to say that they
> could successfully install and run meld (I'd know at least that my
> quest is possible).
>
> thanks,
> iulian
> --

Hi Iulian,

``man dbus-launch'' states

 If  DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS is not set for a process that tries to use
D-Bus, by default the process will attempt to invoke  dbus-launch  with
the  --autolaunch  option  to  start  up  a new session bus or find the
existing bus address on the X display or in a file in  ~/.dbus/session-
bus/

Now, autolaunch is not an option on OSX and

launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchAgents/org.freedesktop.dbus-session.plist

sets DBUS_LAUNCHD_SESSION_BUS_SOCKET.  According to
http://www.mailinglistarchive.com/html/fink-users@lists.sourceforge.net/
2010-04/msg00125.html

$ launchctl getenv DBUS_LAUNCHD_SESSION_BUS_SOCKET
/tmp/launch-Qsc1PT/unix_domain_listener

$ export  DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:path=$(launchctl getenv
DBUS_LAUNCHD_SESSION_BUS_SOCKET)

$ meld

works!!!!

Ionut

PS The dbus ession should be automatically be loaded at login and
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS should
be set somewhere in profile