Latest Gedit no longer works and crashes

Jasper Frumau jasperfrumau at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 08:08:26 PST 2011

> > **
> > Gtk:ERROR:gtkrecentmanager.c:1942:get_icon_fallback: assertion failed:
> > (retval != NULL)
> > Abort trap
>
> At least it is a different problem now :-)
>
> This means gedit can not find the icon it wants to use and no fallback
> icon is available. In the end, it just fails because no icon can be found.
>
> As a workaround, try installing the hicolor-icon-theme which provides a
> large set of fallback icons:
>
>  sudo port install hicolor-icon-theme

Thanks for the feedback Rainer. I just did, but it failed again oddly:

$  sudo port install hicolor-icon-theme
Password:
--->  Cleaning hicolor-icon-theme
jaspersmbp:~ jasper$ gedit

(process:30559): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
    Using the fallback 'C' locale.
Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display "/tmp/launch-NyCM81/org.x:0".

** (gedit:30559): WARNING **: Could not load theme icon gtk-home: Icon
'gtk-home' not present in theme

(gedit:30559): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion
`G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

** (gedit:30559): WARNING **: Could not load theme icon system-file-manager:
Icon 'system-file-manager' not present in theme
**
Gtk:ERROR:gtkrecentmanager.c:1942:get_icon_fallback: assertion failed:
(retval != NULL)
Abort trap

..