preventing sleep during compilation

Jason Swails jason.swails at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 19:55:56 PST 2011

Check out Caffeine at the Mac app store.  It drops something in your toolbar
at the top of your screen (looks like a coffee mug).  A single click and it
prevents your computer from going to sleep and/or showing the screen saver.
(Easiest manual way of turning sleep on/off I've seen)

I've never had my MacBook Pro turn off, either (I don't have a desktop to
try it out on), but the hardware is different.  It could be that your HDD
cache is bigger/better on the iMac so it doesn't have to spin up as often
(indeed, maybe not even often enough to register before going to sleep).

Does it actually go to sleep mid-compile?  Or does it get stuck somewhere
(i.e. in download stage) where computer resources aren't used so it assumes
all is safe to sleep?

Hope some of that helped,
Jason

(I always forget to reply to all!)

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 10:30 PM, Scott Webster <sewebster at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a new imac and it just went to sleep during the install of
> gimp2 and it's dependencies.  I could have sworn that my macbook does
> not go to sleep when compiling.  Anyone aware of any relevant
> differences between these two systems?  Or a way to prevent this
> problem other than just turning sleep on and off manually all the
> time?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott

Jason M. Swails