standard variants for py26-numpy

Scott Webster sewebster at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 12:04:06 PST 2011

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 11:51 PM, vincent habchi <vince at macports.org> wrote:
> IMHO, the problem is not in numpy depending on Atlas, which is correct ; it is in other packages depending on numpy for tasks that may involve very little of it (e.g. using numpy as a convenient means to get array functions). Gimp relies ultimately on numpy for matrix convolutions in image processing, which can take quite a lot of time when the size of the image is large.

Yeah, perhaps it is not so unreasonable for GIMP to pull in atlas
(sorry if this is a bit tangential from the main point of this
thread).  Probably in an ideal world though you wouldn't need to build
atlas/gcc etc. just to do some simple image cropping resizing etc
though.  But now that I've thought about it some more I'd probably
choose to build atlas in order to get good image processing
performance in GIMP.

However, as you say, it would be nice to know what this is really
achieving in terms of optimization.  Perhaps it's huge, or perhaps it
makes very little difference... I have no intuitive guess...

Scott